Bodyweight exercising is getting more and more popular in the fitness world thanks to the fact that it is practical, simple and beneficial for you to get in shape using your own body weight. One of these bodyweight exercises are the planks and they will never get out of fashion, as they are one of the most effective exercises. This is so because they do not take much time investment on your part and offer the opportunity to achieve substantial results in a relatively short period of time.
Our abdominal muscles are very important as they provide support for our entire back and spinal column. Moreover, they also play a key role in preventing injuries. Still, if you want them to perform their function successfully, you must make them strong and train them on a regular basis. In other words, doing plank exercises every day is a great way to make your core stronger and thus support your spine.
We will know let you know what will happen if you start doing planks every day.
1. You’ll improve core definition and performance:
Planks are the best exercise for the abdominal muscles as they engage all main core muscle groups including the transverse abdonimus, the rectus abdominus, the glutes, and the external oblique muscle. It is very important to make each of these muscle groups stronger, because they all serve their own purpose. By strengthening these muscle groups you will notice that:
- the transverse abdominis have increased their capability to lift heavier weights
- the rectus abdominis have boosted the performance when it comes to sport, especially to jumping. This is also the muscle group that gives you the well-known six pack look.
- the oblique muscles have improved their ability to side-bend steadily and waist-twist.
- the glutes have started to support your back better and your booty has become stronger and better shaped.
2. You’ll decrease your risk of injury in the back and spinal column
While you do planks, you are building your muscles making sure that you are not applying too much pressure to your spine or hips. As the American Council on Exercise states, by doing planks on a regular basis you do not only considerably reduce back pain, but you also strengthen your muscles and make sure that your entire back is well and strongly supported, especially in the areas around your upper back.
3. You’ll experience an increased boost to your overall metabolism
By doing planks you challenge your entire body in a way, since doing this exercise on a daily basis will burn more calories than doing any other traditional abdominal exercise, including crunches or sit-ups. If you do this exercise every day you will make sure that you burn more energy even when you sit. This is particularly important for people who spend the majority of their day sitting in front of a computer. Furthermore, we need to mention that this exercise only takes 10 seconds to 1 minute and you can do it in your own home before or after work, and if you do it every day, it will not only provide an improved metabolic rate but it will also ensure that this metabolic rate remains high all day long, even while you sleep.
Continues on page 2…;